So...you're big on education, you're big on mathematics. Then you think about combining the two and you automatically think of lecture! Note-taking! Definitions! Theorems! And once graduation comes around, out the window it goes. After all, you can use a calculator all you want now!
While this may be the case for some people, others use more math in their daily lives than most people realize. Think about architects. Imagine if they didn't use math when sketching blueprints. We'd certainly have a lot of crooked buildings. Imagine if chefs never used math in the kitchen. Things would probably taste a little funky. And if doctors didn't use math, you may not be alive to be reading this blog right now.
For anyone who's curious or wants to learn more about the quest to bring reality back to the math classroom, I've compiled a list of great Twitter feeds that are relevant to the topic. You can find it here: https://twitter.com/#!/emmihelin/math-in-real-life
For your place of residence, your health care, and for the perfectly rectangular screen you're reading this on right now, be sure to thank a mathematician! :)
I commented on the early post last night, but looked at your list today. The list has useful information and I think that the maths history will be beneficial for the new high school math class next year.
ReplyDeleteI also think that your list will be very useful. I like the comment that one source wrots saying that he brought math to life for "disillusioned teenagers". The Living Math one looked fun for students to learn math through puzzles and riddles. Ray Ferris, a digital artist, mixes math and art and I have two people similar to him on my list, both of whom use anatomy in art.
ReplyDeleteI think that the topic of your blog is a great one for all teachers. Students automatically want to know that what they are learning is going to be useful. If it is not, they are not inspired to learn it. This is a key issue for all subjects, not just math. As an adult, I can certainly see the value of math in everyday life!